Skip to main content

Travel documents

A A A Drukuj

Error message

Notice: Undefined index: disabled_javascripts in eu_cookie_compliance_page_build() (line 306 of /home/admin/domains/

According to effective provisions of the law, during a journey each Passenger is obliged to have a valid ID document. It applies to all Passengers, without any exceptions, travelling in domestic traffic, within the European Union, including children. Please, check the current entry regulations and additional information at the diplomatic mission of the country you are travelling to before your journey. More information can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


A valid ID card is a document proving a person's identity and authorising them to travel in domestic traffic and within the Schengen Area.

  • The Schengen Area includes: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway and Iceland.
  • The Schengen Area includes all the EU countries, excluding five of them: Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and Great Britain.
  • Entry to the territory of Great Britain and Ireland, even though these countries are not part of the Schengen Agreement, is also possible on the basis of an ID card.
  • Some countries from outside the EU also acknowledge an ID card as a sufficient document to cross their border: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia and Serbia.


A valid passport is a document that confirms a person's identity and citizenship, therefore it allows you to cross the borders of all countries. Entry regulations of some countries require that a person has a valid visa and that it remains valid for some minimum period of time. A list of countries as well as applicable visa regulations can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


For departures in domestic traffic a travel document can be a student ID card with a photo. In international traffic a child must have a valid ID card or passport.

Both parents have to consent to a child's trip, though the provisions of national law do not require any special authorisation when a child is travelling with one parent or with a person, e.g. grandparents. The fact of a third person holding the child's ID document (ID card or a passport) is treated as the parents' consent to the child's journey. Before departure, check the information on travel procedures for minors in the embassy of the country you are going to.


These documents confirm one's identity and authorise them to travel only in domestic traffic.


Passengers travelling to countries in the Schengen Area do not go through border document control after going through check-in and security check. Passengers travelling to countries that are not in the Schengen Area go through border document control after going through check-in and security check.